Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Don't shoo the messenger

I think I just read the best informative PR blog that everyone going into PR or any type of broadcast writing and/or journalism should read. This was a blog written, on Blogspot like these, by Brian Solis, a principal of FutureWorks PR. This was his view of PR today. We need to embrase the online options we have available to us and not take them for granted. Solis encourages us to use the technology and tie it in with press releases and more traditional ways of communication to produce good PR representation. Not to mention that good writing is the source of good PR, and sometimes the writing is the part that is the missing link. The main point being that it may not be that there is just bad stuff going on, its the fact that our messengers, the people who are being paid to relay stories and news and information to all of us, are not well-equipped to produce informative news for readers.

The article lends 10 principles to follow:
1. Elevate the message.

2. Inform not persuade.

3. Write with balance.

4. Include traditional and new media.

5. Be informative.

6. Provide resources.

7. Use available tech to open-up dialogue.

8. Listen.

9. Converse.

10. Learn.


I am so drawn to PR and all of the links and kinks that I love reading these articles of people who are in the business, making money, producing good product and making relationships, another key to good PR. Since my goal is to eventually produce a PR firm that can offer marketing, journalism, good representation and much more, I find these tips are so important to learn now, when I'm just learning about all of this, so everything can be taken into consideration when I'm deciding where I want my career and studies to go.

2 comments:

leonne said...

I totally agree that the presentation of PR is vitally important to any story and in any form. Advertising, announcements, style, corporate letters. The way it is presented and the wording whether it is long or short needs to make a strong point and get the message across. I think that being able to read others PR makes you consider you own flare of PR.

* Jen * said...

This was a great blog, as I will be focusing in PR. Everyone thinks of PR as "kiss ass" but in reality as a PR you are basically a messenger. Many do not realize how much writing goes into PR. Also, as a PR working for a company you are the face of the company almost as a spokesperson.
Thanks for the pointers!